The synthesis of platinum bipy (bipy = 2, 2' – bipyridyl) complexes containing some anionic Group 16 ligands with kinetic studies of the oxidative – addition reaction of MeI to phenoxo platinum (II) complexes are reported. Complexes of the form [ (4- X C6H4E) Pt (bipy) ] ( E = O,S ; X = H,CH3,Cl,Br) are prepared by the reaction of the chloro complex with substituted phenols or substituted thiophenols and KOH in a two-phase system of water and chloroform in the presence of triphenyl phosphonium chloride . Platinum (IV) complexes are formed by oxidative – addition of MeI to the platinum (II) complexes obtained. The complexes were characterized by elemental analysis, uv – visible, i. r, nmr spectroscopy. The x-ray crystal structure of square planar[(bipy)Pt(OC6H4-4-OMe)2] is reported. The reaction of methyl iodide with di(4-ClC6H4O)( 2, 2' - bipyridyl) platinum(II) to give iodo (methyl) di(4-ClC6H4O)( 2, 2' - bipyridyl) platinum(IV) follows the rate law, rate = K2[Pt(4-ClC6H4O)2(2, 2' - bipyridyl)] [MeI] . The values of K2 increase with increasing polarity of the solvent, suggesting a polar transition state for the reaction.
• B.Sc, Baghdad University, Iraq.
• M.Sc, University of Wales, Aberystwyth, U.K.
• Ph.D, University of Liverpool U.K.
• Teacher of Chemistry in various secondary schools in Iraq.
• Lecturer and Assistant Professor, Head of the Department of Chemistry, and Vice Dean, College of Education, University of Salahaddin, Iraq.
• Associate Professor, Faculty of Education, Hodeidah, University of Sana’a, Republic of Yemen.
• Associate Professor, Faculty of Science, and Faculty of Medicine, University of Sana’a, Sana’a, Republic of Yemen.
• Assistant Professor, Chemistry Department, College of Science, Sultan Qaboos University, Muscat, Oman.
• Assistant Professor, Biological Sciences &Chemistry Department, College of Arts & Science, University of Nizwa, Oman.
• Associate Professor , Dean, Education College, SABIS University, Erbil ( 2013 – 2015)
• President’s Academic Advisor,International University of Erbil, Erbil – Kurdistan( 2015 – 2016 )
• President’s Assistant for Administrative Affairs, International University of Erbil, Erbil, Kurdistan(2016 – onwards )
• Dean, College of Engineering, International University of Erbil, Erbil, Kurdistan, Iraq.
Supervision of postgraduate students:
Supervision of M.Sc. Student:
• I have so far supervised a few students at the M.Sc. level on various aspects of Chemistry.
Supervision of Ph.D. Students:
• I have supervised two Ph.D. students, their research titles:
• Thermodynamic and Kinetic Studies of some Transition Metal Complexes.
• Study of new complexes containing ligands with biological effects.