Environmental problems are as much as serious to threaten the existence of humans on the earth. Climate change is one of the environmental problems, but is placed at the top in terms of its seriousness impacting on nature and humans. Wide range of climate change policies are being launched by local and national government. In addition, UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change) also proposes lots of climate change policies applicable to global level. It is no doubt that the existing climate change policies being launched at a local, national and global level are all very suitable and right ones responding to climate change. However, it is necessary to analyze how effective the policies are on climate change. Nonetheless, it is quite rare to analyze the effectiveness of policy including climate change policy. In this context, this paper aims at explaining how to analyze the effectiveness of climate change policy. This paper will be composed of four parts as below.
Part 1: First of all, we have to understand what policy is. Some concepts that are related to policy will be examined for improving the understanding of what policy is. The concepts to be examined are the definition of vision, objective, goal and strategy.
Part 2: Based on the concept of policy examined in Part 1, what climate change policy is will be explained. The concept of climate change policy will be explained first, and followed by the process of establishing climate change policy.
Part 3: Part 3 is the key sector of this paper, and will explain how to analyze the effectiveness of climate change policy. The analytic method of the effectiveness of mitigation policy will be explained first, and followed by the analytical method of adaptation policy. The former includes <Efficiency Analysis of Financial Investment by Policy> and <Effectiveness Analysis of All Policies as a Whole>. The latter includes <Cost-Effectiveness Analysis> and <Market and Non-Market Valuation Method> that can be used when estimating the effectiveness of adaptation policy.
Part 4: Most policies require a lot of conditions in their process being launched such as the availability of finance and advanced technologies, etc. In this context, this paper will examine what capacities should be built as the pre-requisites for implementing successfully the climate change policy by government
Audience Take Away Notes:
- The audiences can utilize the analytic methods to analyzing the effectiveness of climate change policies that they establish.
- The analytic methods will help the audiences enhance their professional job performance.
- If other researchers include the analytic methods in their research on climate change, their research will be more comprehensive in that the existing previous researches do not cover the analytic methods analyzing the effectiveness of climate change policy.
- The analytic methods provide the designers with more efficient and effective job performance through identifying the strategies to achieve maximum effectiveness at the lowest cost.
- The most effective climate change policies identified through the effectiveness analysis would serve as providing the information on the right and best accuracy and solution in terms of deciding policy priority.
- Enhancing the understanding on the conceptual difference and relationship between strategy and policy, concept of climate change policy, and the process of climate change policy being established.